The days are getting shorter and there’s a chill in the air, which means the start of the school season! The transition from summer vacation to the school schedule can be overwhelming, but it’s helpful to prepare.
Tips for Preparing Your Child for Back to School
- Shop for Back-to-School Supplies – Shopping for back-to-school supplies is a great way to build some excitement and ensure a successful start of a new school year. Backpacks, notebooks, binders, pencils, and a fresh box of crayons are something to look forward to.
- Start the School Schedule Early – It’s a good idea to switch over to the school year schedule ahead of time. Wake up your child or help them set an alarm at the proper time to allow for a healthy breakfast.
- Prepare a Healthy Breakfast – Bananas, oatmeal, and whole grain toast are a few options for a nutritious start to the day. Kids need the right kind of fuel to ensure energy and focus throughout the day.
- Pick Out Clothing – It’s advantageous to lay out clothing the night before. Planning ahead makes for a smoother morning routine and can eliminate arguments of the outfit.
- Prep Lunches Ahead of Time – Kids need a healthy lunch to get through the day. In the days leading up to the first day of school, prepare lunches for the next day together. This is an opportunity to teach good nutrition and make sure your child likes their lunch and is getting enough to eat. Sitting down for lunch at the same time as the school schedule will get your child accustomed to it and avoid distraction during class due to hunger.
- Get Ready for Homework – Make time for homework now by organizing an activity such as playing a word game, coloring, or reading a book in the evening.
- Follow a Regular Bedtime Routine – You’ll want to finish up the day and follow a regular bedtime that ensures plenty of sleep. You want your child well-rested. Summer hours tend to be later and more lax, and the night before the first day of school can be a bit stressful. Adapting to an earlier bedtime routine ahead of time can help ease the adjustment into a new school year.
Of course, if you have any questions or concerns about your child starting school or daycare, please feel free to reach out to Watch Me Grow Daycare!